Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Group Presentation comments

David Harris
4/22/15
AmStd 475

Group:Keaton Moore, Julia Kilts, Misty Skelton

I found the presentation on I-phones and their production the most interesting. The countries that make the Iphone are mainly China and Taiwan. China is a second world country, which goes against the common belief that only third world countries produce I-phones. Much of the resources come from South Africa, a first world country, another example of the common beliefs being challenges. I like how the group took on the issue on where I-phones were made and how because everyone in the United States in the 21st century has owned an I-phone or knows someone who has had one. It is easy to see that there is a connection with the audience.
 The group introduced the company of Foxconn, in charge of production of I-phones. The group went into detail about the work practices of Foxconn. The workers are forced to stand at attention for hours if a mistake is made. There live in a dormitory-like setting. There is a high suicide rate for working with Foxconn. The day starts with an unpaid morning meeting. An employee describes working 12 hours as a normal day and not being paid overtime. Work on average is 60 hours a week.  These are considered harsh work practices compared to factories in the United States. I think the group did a good job in outlining the harsh workplace conditions but I think they should have focused in the suicide rate. I would think that the high suicide rate is a result of the multiple factors that are the work place practices.
Apple is outsourcing the manufacturing of I-phones in order to dramatically cut costs of production. Based off the work practices it is now difficult to morally support the Apple I-phone now. The cost that is not seen in the price when buying the I-phone is passed on to those working at the Foxconn factory.
Another connection that the group made was that for many adults from our generation, digital consumption is mainly done through our phones. This digital consumption would be limited if it was not for our device. We then should learn more about the devices as they are almost imperative in our 21st century life. They accomplished their goal of spreading awareness on the production of I-phones while at the same time tearing down misconceptions.

I am interested to see what knew information the group finds out. Is Foxconn Apple’s main manufacturer?  If not, what are the work place practices of the other manufacturers? If they are the main manufacturer, why are they? Also another area they could look into is the different types of materials that go into an I-phone. They brushed upon this subject briefly, but I would be interested for the group to figure out item by item. 

No comments:

Post a Comment